A- A A+




April 5, 2021

Amputee and Paralyzed Veterans Pension Program
Available to Veterans

ANNVILLE, PA – During National Limb Loss and Limb Difference Awareness Month in April, the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) wants to ensure veterans are aware about the agency’s Amputee and Paralyzed Veterans Pension Program. 

Eligible Pennsylvania veterans may qualify to receive a pension of $150 per month. There are more than 2,000 veterans currently enrolled in the program.  

“This program clearly demonstrates how important veterans are to Pennsylvanians. Their selfless service to secure America’s freedoms is not forgotten,” said Maj. Gen. Mark Schindler, Pennsylvania’s acting adjutant general and acting head of the DMVA. “Every eligible veteran who lost a limb or has been paralyzed should apply for this benefit. Particularly during these challenging times when many veterans face unexpected financial challenges during the Covid-19 pandemic.” 

Eligibility criteria:

  • Served in the military honorably.
  • Resident of Pennsylvania upon entering the military.
  • Suffered a service-connected injury or incurred a disease resulting in the loss or loss of use of two or more extremities (arms/hands or legs/feet).
  • At least a 40 percent disability rating compensation rating or higher in each limb as determined and certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Pennsylvania veterans should contact their County Veterans Affairs Director in the county they reside to apply. More information about the DMVA Amputee and Paralyzed Veterans Pension Program can be found at Pension Program.  

Visit DMVA online at www.dmva.pa.gov or follow us at www.facebook.com/padmva or www.twitter.com/padmva


October 19, 2020

DMVA Reminds Veterans to Secure Their Military Paperwork

Harrisburg, PA – Leaving the military can be a hectic and stressful time, especially with the current COVID-19 challenges. Transitioning veterans often forget how important it is to properly record and safeguard their most important military paperwork – the DD Form 214. That is where the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) can help.

The DD-214 is a document of the United States Department of Defense, issued upon a military service member's retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States. It contains information needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations.

“Of the thousands of requests for assistance we receive each year, veterans seeking help locating their DD-214 is the most common,” said Maj. Gen. (ret.) Eric Weller, deputy adjutant general of veterans affairs. “The DMVA has continued to prioritize these assistance requests throughout the pandemic.“

The DMVA can also assist with locating the DD-215, which is used to correct errors or make additions to a DD-214, helping to assure that veterans have accurate discharge documentation.

Weller said that the easiest way to manage military documents and avoid having to frantically search for them is to make sure they are filed in a safe place upon leaving the military.

“Every service member exiting the military should stop by the courthouse in their county of record to file their DD-214/215 with the Prothonotary’s Office,” said Weller. “This way, veterans and their family members will always know where to find an official copy and avoid a time-consuming search in the event that the original paper version gets lost. Regardless, if a Pennsylvania veteran needs our help, the DMVA will work hard to find these important documents for them.”

Anyone needing assistance from the DMVA to locate their DD-214/215, or other military documentation, can call toll-free 1-800-547-2838 or e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. More information about locating military documents can be found by visiting the Records Request Program.
Another way to stay in touch is for veterans, family members and people who work with veterans to sign up for the DMVA’s Veterans Registry by visiting www.register.dmva.pa.gov. Registration is available by computer or mobile device.

Upcoming State Events

No events found